Student Video Contest
SVSEF wants to you to tell us “Why should I participate in the 2020 South Valley Science and Engineering Fair?” Use this checklist to ensure you’re ready to submit your video and supporting documents (media release form and registration) for a chance to win $200, have family, friends, teachers, and fellow students see your video on our website, www.southvalleyscience.com, and be acknowledged in both the Morgan Hill Life and Gilroy Life newspapers.
How do I enter the contest?
1. Answer the question “What do I gain if I do a science or engineering project and present it on February 8, 2020 at Christopher High School? Consider the benefits of doing citizen science on a problem of your own choosing, public speaking, teamwork, leadership, writing, adaptability, problem solving, critical observation, data analysis, and other skills.
2. Download the SVSEF Media Release Form. Be sure all students who appear in your video (including you!) have it signed by their parents or guardians. Scan the signed forms, save as a PDF or JPEG, and return it to SVSEF with the rest of your submission as discussed below.
3. Write your script, practice your part(s), and film your 1.5-2.0 minute video.
4. Fill out the Video Submission Form.
5. Upload your video, using public settings so SVSEF can review it. Vimeo.com or YouTube make it easy for free, public sharing. Make sure the audio is clear!
6. Go to the SVSEF Student Video Contest link on www.southvalleyscience.com by midnight December 1, 2019, to submit your video link, PDF or JPEG of your signed media release form(s), and video submission form.
SVSEF looks forward to seeing your video! Contact us on our website’s Fair Forum webpage or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
SVSEF STUDENT VIDEO CONTEST
Students, tell us “Why should I participate in SVSEF?” for a chance to win $200.
Download this video contest checklist and photo and video release form to get started. Once your ready, submit your video, release forms for all video participants, and your information below.
The middle and high school student video contest is open from October 15 to midnight December 1, 2019.
Share how doing citizen science/engineering on a problem you care about as a SVSEF project contributes to real world 21st century skills (verbal and written communication, adaptability, problem solving, and critical thinking). And be sure to include other benefits you see from participating in SVSESF.
2. All participants in your video that are under 18 years old need the photo and video release form signed by their parent or guardian. Scan these, then upload them as a PDF with your entry.
3. Keep the video between 1½ -2 minutes long.
4. In the video, be sure to mention your first name, SVSEF, school, grade level, and project category(ies).
5. Make sure the audio is clear and understandable.
6. Be creative – have fun!
We’ll select the winning video based on content, creativity, clarity, persuasiveness, and enthusiasm.
Video Submission Form
1. Use this Video Contest Checklist to ensure you complete all steps.
2. Download this Media Release Form and have it signed by all parents or guardians of those students and any other minors that appear in your video. Scan these as either a PDF or JPEG to upload when you submit your entry.
3. Complete the following Video Contest Submission Form:
Video Contest Submission Form
After you download the following form, please print neatly when you fill in this form. Fields marked with an * are required.
Your email address*
Your School name*
Your School District*
Link to your video submission*
We can’t wait to see your video! Anything else you’d like to share with us?
SVSEF Media Release Form
I, individually or as a parent or guardian of _____________________ (your child’s name) grant the South Valley Science and Engineering Fair, Morgan Hill Life and Gilroy Life, and their designees the absolute right and unrestricted permission to publish and/or use my child’s video, name, and photograph for inclusion on www.southvalleyscience.com and morgnhilllife.com.
I understand that that I waive any rights of inspection or approval of the final product or advertising copy that may be used in conjunction with the finished product, as well as any payment (except for the prize amount if selected as the winning video).
I understand and agree that if I provide any photos or video submission to the South Valley Science and Engineering Fair that those submissions become the property of SVSEF and will not be returned. I irrevocable authorize SVSEF, Morgan Hill Life, Gilroy Life, and their designees to edit, alter, copy, exhibit, publish, or distribute this material for purpose of advertising or other lawful uses.
I, individually or as a parent or guardian of _____________________ (your child’s name), release and agree to hold harmless SVSEF and its designees from all claims, demands, and causes of action that I or other people acting on behalf of me related to the final product of this release.
I have read this release before signing and I fully understand the content, meaning, and impact of this release.
Student’s name (Please PRINT) Parent/Guardian name (Please PRINT)
Date Parent/Guardian signature